Updated Version 0.8.11 Available
A wxWidgets based SPAM Reporter Tool.
Updated to use the current wxWidgets 3.0.2 libraries
Please see the readme file for more details
wxSR is intended to be a near clone of and replacement for the TESP Abuse Reporter Tool ABouncer, a utility I have found very useful. Unfortunately, ABouncer does not seem to be supported any longer and development seems to have stopped.
If you're interested, you can find the last version of ABouncer at: http://www.tesp.com/abounce/"
With wxSR you can report SPAM with just a few keystrokes and mouse-clicks. (Assuming of course you have set things up properly when you installed wxSR ;-) )
- Run your mail application and display the HTML source of the offending message. (Ctrl-U for Thunderbird)
- Select all of the message (Ctrl-A) and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C). Type Ctrl-W (for Thunderbird) or Alt-F4 while you're at it and the message source window will be gone.
- Run wxSR and paste the clipboard to its 'Message' field - (click the 'Message' field 'Paste' button)
- Find the originating IP address (some of the important lines in the SPAM message are colored to assist in this search). In fact finding 'unknown' highlighted is a sure sign of the message being SPAM.
- Highlight the source IP address and click on the 'WhoIs IP' button.
- The WhoIs dialog box will pop up, and a query for given IP address will be initiated to the pre-selected WhoIs server.
- After a few seconds, the dialog will display the pertinent information regarding whom to send your complaint to.
- If the owner/administrator of the IP address has been doing his job, the 'WhoIs Results' window will even have the 'abuse' or 'hostmaster' e-mail addresses highlighted for easy identification.
- Pick the abuse address (or the hostmaster address) if there is no abuse address listed, click on the 'Put to Main' button to copy the address to the wxSR 'Abuse Address' window in the main application.
- Then (in the main window) click on the 'Put' button to transfer this address to the 'To:' box and you are one click away from sending your complaint.
- Last step: Click on the big 'Send' button and you have just done your bit to reduce SPAM
- If you want to keep track of the reports, it probably will be a good idea to create special folders in the e-mail cliewnt to save both the original as well as the SPAM report messages
Note: The relevant buttons are highlighted in sequence to make it easier for you to follow the sequence of steps, even if you get distracted by interruptions.
Note: If you have 'Automunge on Send' enabled in the 'Options', wxSR will replace all e-mail addresses in the addressee fields with *Deleted* to help preserve your and other recipient's privacy.
Note: wxSR will use a local database obtained directly from IANA to query the appropriate WhoIs server.
As well, wxSR can be configured to check for updates the IANA database automatically whenever it starts. If a new version is found, it gives you the option to download and use it.
For more details on installation and setup see Install.txt for details.
Additional Software Requirements
All OSes may require you to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package (x86)
This package installs the redistributale files need for wxSR to run during the installation, if they are not already present.
Due to lack of a Windows 8 system, wxSR has not been tested under Windows 8, though it is expected to install and run without
If you experience any issues, please contact the author.
wxSR has been installed under Windows 10 and runs with the redistributable package installed.
License & Disclaimer
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
You are free to use, give away and copy the program.
You may not charge for it in any way.
It is very much a beta software. It is stable on my system, but not all intended features have been implemented and/or tested under all conditions and on all Win OS versions.
At present I am not ready to make the program open-source, partly because it is almost continuously in a state of flux and partly because I do not want to get involved in maintenance.
If you find it useful, drop me a line. If not, let me know as well. I will try to fix any problems.
Same applies to suggestions for improvements or features.
Since I use the utility on a regular basis myself, chances are that - other than setup problems - I will run into the problem myself sooner or later and, if it is serious enough, I'll likely fix it just to make my own life easier. :-)
Windows Installer 0.8.11 - Mar 30/16
Right-click on the MD5 links and save them to your machine for verification with any MD5 utility.
What's new in 0.8.++
Updated the "Check for latest version" dialog to provide a link to the download page.
Updated to compile with the latest wxWidgets release 3.0.2 & MSVC 2015
New option allows the user to check if a newer version is available. This option can be enabled or disabled in the 'Options' dialog.
Provide MD5 checksums to allow you to verify the downloaded files.